Request For Quote — 2021 Race Director
Tablelands Regional Council manages the Yungaburra Triathlon to drive economic development, encourage community health and wellbeing across the region, and promote the Atherton Tablelands as a key destination for sport and recreation.
Council is requesting a quote from suitably experienced race directors to assist with the Yungaburra Triathlon to be held on the 17 and 18 April 2021. This annual event is held at the Tinaburra Foreshore and Afghanistan Avenue of Honour site. Council is seeking to contract a race director with triathlon or similar experience.
The Yungaburra Triathlon was conceived as an event to establish a major regional event for the TRC. The inaugural triathlon was held in 2015. In 2019 the event had almost 600 registered competitors and over 1,000 spectators attend the two-day event. Unfortunately, the event was cancelled in 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The Race Director is appointed to control the four races which make up the event. The Race Director (RD) works with Triathlon Australia’s Technical Delegate (TD), who is appointed to assess the race against the sanctioning criteria. These criteria are outlined in full in the Triathlon Australia Event Operations Manual
- The Race Director should be aware of the objectives of the Triathlon Australia race competition rules, which are intended to:
- Create an atmosphere of sportsmanship, equality and fair play;
- Optimise safety and protection;
- Emphasise ingenuity and skill without unduly limiting the competitor’s freedom of action;
- Penalise competitors who seek to gain an unfair advantage; and
- Endorse the principle that triathlon is an individual sport and encourage individual performance and initiative
- Work with Triathlon Australia Technical Officials and the Event Manager to effectively manage the races.
- Be familiar with the event’s Risk Assessment and Workplace Health and Safety manuals.
- Execution of the following races:
|Saturday 17 April||RACE 1||Junior||200m||5km||1km|
|Sunday 18 April||RACE 3||Sprint||750m||20km||5km|
- Ensure that all courses are appropriately set up prior to each race.
- Conduct Race Briefings before each race, providing a brief overview of the course, hazards on the course, and special rules for the race, and reinforce the need to behave safely and fairly.
- Liaise with the Triathlon Australia Technical Official in the week before and again on the morning of the race, to seek advice on the wetsuit determination.
- Work with the Event Manager and MC on race day announcements, to include:
- Report any pending Insurance claims or complaints arising out of the conduct of a race to the Event Manager.
- Be on site from 8am Friday 16 April through to Sunday afternoon 18 April 2021.
Key Competencies – Selection Criteria
- Proven experience in running triathlon events and/or in performing the duties of a Race Director
- Triathlon coaching and/or competing experience
- Confidence with all aspects of the successful running of triathlon events
Request for Quote
Closing date for the request for quote is 5pm Friday 22 January 2021. Race Directors should identify the key competencies listed above and relevant previous experience with triathlons or similar events. Applicants should submit a quote, provide at least one example of a similar project that has been completed in the last two years, and provide one referee.
It is a requirement of Council that all contractors hold professional indemnity and public liability insurance with Tablelands Regional Council listed as an interested party and copies attached with quote.
- Public and product liability insurance in the amount of at least $20,000,000 in respect of any one occurrence and for an unlimited number of claims
- Professional indemnity insurance in the amount of at least $5,000,000 in respect of any one occurrence and for an unlimited number of claims
Yungaburra Triathlon Event Manager
TRC Events Coordinator
4089 2334 or 0439 699 406