Request For Quote — 2021 Event Manager
Tablelands Regional Council (TRC) manages the Yungaburra Triathlon to support returned service members, to drive economic development, encourage community health and wellbeing across the region, and promote the Atherton Tablelands as a key destination for sport and recreation.
TRC is requesting a quote from suitably experienced event organisers to manage the Yungaburra Triathlon to be held on the 17 and 18 April 2021. This annual event is held at the Tinaburra Foreshore and Afghanistan Avenue of Honour site. TRC is seeking to contract an event organiser with triathlon or similar experience.
The Yungaburra Triathlon was conceived as an event to establish a major regional event for the TRC and, in addition and in association with the Afghanistan Avenue of Honour in Yungaburra, to raise awareness and funds for returned service members. Initially called the Soldier On Triathlon, it became the Yungaburra Triathlon. The inaugural triathlon was held in 2015.
For the first two years the event was held in November, close to Remembrance Day. However, low lake levels in 2016 causing safety concerns meant the date of the event was moved to April 2017. This change saw a drop in competitor numbers due to the changes and uncertainty. For the second year of the event being held in April, numbers have picked up again and overtaken all previous competitor numbers.
In 2019 the event had almost 600 registered competitors and over 1000 spectators attend the two day event. Each year ten percent of registrations fees are donated to organisations that support returned service personnel.
The 2021 Yungaburra Triathlon will incorporate four events over the two-day weekend.
- Junior Tri (7–13 years) — 200m swim / 5km bike / 1km run
- Enticer/Corporate — 300m swim / 8km bike / 2.5km run
- Sprint — 750m swim / 20km bike / 5km run
- Standard —1.5km swim / 40km bike / 10km run
There is existing collateral including the website, social media and route design in place from previous years as well as a network of potential sponsors, stakeholders and volunteers. The triathlon has the support of a Tablelands based working group who will work with TRC and the event manger in the delivery of the event. TRC’s Events Coordinator will support the successful event manager in budget oversight, event delivery and in-kind support.
Scope of Works
- Plan for and deliver four triathlon events with supporting entertainment, food and health and wellbeing stalls.
- Work with Sponsorship Coordinator to seek and secure cash and in-kind sponsorship.
- Update event materials to reflect the 2021 event including competitor handbook, Event Management Plan, sanctioning requirements, course layout, promotion, signage, etc.
- Schedule and attend meetings, prepare agendas and meeting minutes for the Yungaburra Triathlon working group.
- Prepare and lodge all required permits and sanctioning documents within appropriate time frames.
- Plan and agree course and promote on the Triathlon website.
- Competitor, sponsor and stakeholder liaison (incorporating competitor and stakeholder feedback from previous events to grow and improve the event).
- Assist with the production of marketing materials and promotion through social and online media (existing tools already established).
- Organise merchandise sales to maximise revenue and promote the event.
- Assist with community engagement ahead of the event, including road closure information and business/tourism opportunities associated with the event.
- Organise and manage event logistics including timing provider, swim and cycle safety providers, traffic management and event equipment.
- Liaise with key stakeholders including Triathlon Australia and Queensland, TTNQ, TAT, Cairns Crocs Triathlon Club Yungaburra Association Inc., Coral Coast Riders, Queensland Surf Life Saving, Police, Ambulance and SES.
- Create, update and manage competitor registrations through chosen registration system.
- Volunteer coordination including recruitment, coordination and training for key volunteer roles including volunteer briefing prior to the event.
- Organise competitor and volunteer packs with local providers.
- Provide advice on securing a suitable race director.
- On site responsibility for setting up, coordinating and packing down the event between the 12 and 19 April 2021 including competitor management and awards presentation, event facilities, course signage, and marshalling.
- Assist with event feedback and reporting.
- Comply with all Workplace Health & Safety Legislation, TRC’s Safety Management System — SAFE PLAN, TRC’s Code of Conduct and other relevant policies, procedures and legislation.
- Comply with all Covid-19 health requirements of Triathlon Australia, Triathlon Queensland and the Queensland Government at the time of the event.
- Other responsibilities as reasonably expected.
Preference will be given to someone based locally. Otherwise, the Triathlon Event Manager will be expected to work alongside TRC’s Events Coordinator in Atherton for a minimum of one day per week from December through to April, attend meetings with stakeholders and sponsors, and be based in region for the week prior to the event to ensure pre-event organisation and checks are undertaken.
Request for Quote
Closing date for the request for quote is 5pm Friday 4 December 2020. Event managers should identify how they would approach the project, timeframes for key milestones, and relevant previous experience with triathlons or similar events. Applicants should submit a quote, provide at least one example of a similar project that has been completed in the last two years, and provide two referees. It is a requirement of TRC that all contractors hold professional indemnity and public liability insurance, attached to the quote.
TRC is seeking to commence work on the Yungaburra Triathlon in December 2020, with the project wrap up and reporting due by May 2021.